Wednesday 6 April 2011

Sixth Sense

I think I have a sixth sense. But unlike the creepy kid from that Bruce Willis film, my 6th sense isn't in the slightest bit interesting. 

Photo from here


 Unless you're diabetic that is. Because I'm pretty sure I have a 6th sense for predicting hypos.

Let me explain.

So you may or may not be aware that I moved to London last weekend. For some bizarre, unexplained reason it has sent my blood sugars AWOL.

Maybe it is the slight temperature change. Maybe it is all the extra walking I'm doing. Maybe it is tube stress. Maybe it is the lack of funds for food. 

Whatever the reason, my blood sugars are going L-O-W. A lot. And its annoying.

I had my pump levels all sorted out, but this recent lifestyle change has cocked it all up.

BUT I can see(or rather feel) it coming. Thanks to my 6th sense.

You see, when you have a hypo, there are the classic symptoms. Shakiness, sweatiness, paleness and a racing heart are sure signs that your blood sugar level is dropping below 4. If you want to be all technical, click here. If you don't know that when your blood sugar level hits 4, you're probably going to end up on the floor. 

Explaining hypoglycemia to non-diabetics is a challenge, but this YouTube video goes through it pretty well. 





But a few times this week I have been going about my business and suddenly felt 'weird'. I can't explain it, but there is this feeling inside me like something is just wrong. 

Yet when I test my blood sugar, the levels seem OK (between 7 and 9). So obviously I'm not alarmed and carry on with what I'm doing. But sure enough, an hour or so later, that familiar 'hypo' feeling hits me and my levels have dropped way below 4. 

Oh crap


I've had some trouble contacting my nurse about this. Not about my 6th sense(don't think she would take that too seriously), but the fact that my blood sugars are going hypo a lot more frequently in this new routine. Since I am working 10-6, and baring in mind I leave the house at 8.45am to fight my way on to the tubes, I am not physically able to call up my diabetes centre.

Perhaps tomorrow I will sacrifice some of my precious lunch break in the hope that I will get through to someone. 

Until then, I will use my diabetic superpowers to try and prevent some of these hypos from becoming too nasty.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Kim!
    We just discovered your site and thank you for adding your voice to divas living with, at risk of and affected by diabetes! Keep inspiring and passing it on. We invite you and your followers to check out the nonprofit, Divabetic: on the web at www.divabetic.org, on Twitter @mrdivabetic and Facebook too (we have a Group page and Fan Page). We'd love to add your voices to our Glam More Fear Less Mission.

    ReplyDelete