Friday 4 March 2011

iPump

OK, so it’s in, I didn’t have a diva strop and the tubes didn’t strangle me in my sleep. But I am not ‘technically’ pumping yet. The hospital has given me the weekend to practise pressing buttons and pluck up the courage to fire the cannula into my belly without their help. So for now, the only thing that the pump is giving me is sterilised water (or saline if you want to be posh.)

WARNING: This is NOT a toy


The pump reminds me of an iPod, or an iPad. It's so clever and technical, but at the same time really ease to use. Of course, I'm from a generation that was lucky enough to grow up with technology, and have the advantage of just knowing how things work without having to sit down for 5 hours and shout at instructions. But don't be fooled into thinking that the pump is just 'young people', it can benefit any diabetic. I think that everybody, no matter how old you are or how good you are with technology would be able to wrap their head around it eventually, with the right kind of help and support. 

I’ve decided to record a video diary of the last 24 hours, rather than write it down. Hopefully this way you will be able to see the pump in its full glory, and you get to see me moving and talking. I really do hope you watch this clip, as I spent ages doing my hair and make-up to look pretty for the camera (what?! I’m a diva!).


I've realised today that the pump is not an easy way out. It's an amazing piece of technology and will do wondrous things, but only if I work with it. It doesn't have a brain, and won't know what to do unless I tell it too. In the long run, I expect good results from the pump, but for the next few months I'm going to have to put a lot of effort and time into testing my blood sugars and getting it in sync with my body.

Hopefully by Monday I will have successfully changed my cannula and loaded my cartridge up with some more saline! Then comes the real test as I go back to hospital for some insulin, and then me and my pump will be officially united in holy matrimony. 

Stay tuned for more blogs on practising with the pump, the mystery that is carb-counting and more tales of a ‘divabetic’.

1 comment:

  1. My 6 year old was diagnosed in november and is moving on to the pump in the next few weeks. Your site is so helpful. It is written in a fab way that keeps me hooked whilst learning carrie bradshaw eat your heart out .. Thank you

    ReplyDelete