Tuesday 15 March 2011

Naturally Sweet

I've had diabetes for 5 years and get asked a lot of questions from people of all walks of life. I don't mind answering questions at all, but here are a few I find myself saying over and over.

1) Is diabetes a disease?

I get asked this all the time. Yes, it is. I think the reason why people aren’t sure if it is or not is due to stereotype. We think of disease as some sort of deathly plague that will kill in a matter of days. But in fact, disease comes in all shapes and forms and diabetes is just one of them. It is an ‘autoimmune’ disease if you want to be specific, and you can read more about it here.

2) Can I catch it off you?

No, diabetes isn’t contagious whether the person has Type 1 or Type 2.

3) Were you born with diabetes?

This is by far the question I get asked the most. And the short answer is, no. I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2005 when I was 15. The medics at the hospital reckon that I had it for about 6 months before my actual diagnosis. I went to the doctors because I had lost a lot of weight, I was thirsty 24/7 and getting really bad cramps in my legs. The doctor could tell something was wrong with me just from a simple urine test, and sent me packing to the hospital where I spent a week recovering and learnt how to deal with my new condition. The only good thing to come out of being diagnosed with diabetes whilst doing my GCSE’s is that I got an ‘A’ on my biology exam. I was so clued up on diabetes by the time I was discharged. Shame I didn’t know anything about chemistry or physics...

4) Can you eat sugar?

Yes. The understanding of diabetes has come a long way in the last 40 years and health professionals are now saying it’s OK for diabetics to eat sweet stuff. Personally I stay away from sugary drinks like Coke etc, but only because I don’t enjoy the taste and I think with my blood sugars being as unstable as they are, I’m asking for trouble. I have an incredibly sweet tooth though and people always gawp at me when I order chocolate fudge cake or munch on popcorn in the cinema. “Should you be eating that?!” they gasp. Yes, it is OK, I have my insulin, I am good to go!

The only thing I can’t eat is diabetic food. You might see stuff advertised as ‘sugar-free’ or ‘suitable for diabetics’ but this is a lie! This stuff is horrendously bad for anyone, never-mind diabetics. It is full of fat and they put laxatives in as a sugar-substitute. I’ve written an article about it which goes into a lot more detail that you can ask me for. 

5) Why do you have diabetes, you’re not fat or old?

Well first off, thank you. Secondly, this is an annoying stereotype about diabetes that does my head in. I have Type 1, caused by my immune system attacking cells in the pancreas (yeah, cheers for that) for some unknown reason yet to be discovered by scientists. Type 2, is the most common form of diabetes, and is controlled with tablets and diet rather than insulin like me. Type 2 is caused by obesity, older age, a family history of diabetes, getting no exercise or a combination of all of the above. About 80% of Type 2 are overweight, so that is where the stereotype comes from. Also Type 2 is preventable through your lifestyle choices, where as Type 1 isn’t.

Here is a helpful YouTube video which explains it in more detail. Watch it if you’re still unsure, it’s important to understand the difference between Type 1 and 2, or I will get angry.





6) Will your children have diabetes?

Diabetes can be hereditary, but nobody has it in my family (so what’s my excuse?).  I must have been the special, chosen one. The answer to this question is ‘I don’t know’, and neither does anyone else. I will just make sure to have kids with someone strong, healthy and fit and hope he cancels out my crappy genes. If you know someone that matches this description, please get in touch.

7) Can you drink alcohol?


8) Do you get money for being diabetic?

From 15 to 18 I received the Disability Living Allowance (DSA) but I don’t qualify for it anymore. If you want to know if you or your child does, then click here. Whilst I don’t get any financial entitlements anymore, I do get free prescriptions for life. One of the perks I guess, though I’d much rather have a working pancreas.

9) Can you read?

I’ve only been asked this question once, but I think I will remember it forever. When I first went into hospital after I’d been diagnosed none of my classmates really knew what was wrong with me. The word ‘diabetes’ was thrown about in rumour, but nobody was sure. One guy said to me, “Diabetes, isn’t that when you can’t read?” to which I responded, “Errr no, I think you mean dyslexia”.  So despite knowing me for 11 years, people were all of a sudden questioning my literacy skills. In case it isn’t already obvious, yes, I can in fact read. Can you? Stupid boy. 

10) Has diabetes ruined your life?

Nobody has asked me this, it is one from me. Diabetes has taught me so much about myself and what I am capable of. If anything, it motivates me to get off my backside and go do more with my life. I’m so much more aware of how important and precious life is, and I try not to take things for granted. So no , diabetes hasn’t ruined my life, it inspired me to get one.

3 comments:

  1. Can you read this!? I always wondered what the difference was between Type 1 and Type 2, and now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question 9 cracked me up!
    Diabetes-Dyselxia! A classic schoolboy mix up!
    It trumps the time one of my primary school classmates reminded me that I was 'stagnent', refering to my astigmatism (rugby ball shaped eye :).
    I'm glad your diabetes has not impaired your reading and writing skills Kim!
    This blog is a brill read!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this question-and-answer blog. Some of them did cross my mind, and obviously a few others, seeing as I had to ask them when I've seen you! It's so interesting

    ReplyDelete