Tuesday 22 March 2011

Pumps, Planes and Prague

I need a break. And so does my pump. Life is whizzing past me at a ridiculous rate and a need a couple of days away with my family. I am moving to London on my own to start life as a grown-up in less than 2 weeks. As I am leaving soon, and it is officially my 21st birthday this Saturday, my parents agreed to take me away to Prague for a long weekend after weeks of nagging.

I’m really excited for this trip, but where I go, the pump follows.  It’s a bit like having a cat. Occasionally I have to pay the pump some attention and load it up with more food (insulin), but most of the time it likes to be left alone and doesn’t cause me too much trouble (this week anyway).

Leaving the country is a different story. It is like I have gone into panic mode and think the world will be out to get us.  Here is a list of my main concerns:

1.  Airport Security


Photo from here

This is a headache and a half. I’m positive that the pump will set off alarms as I walk through security, and I will get frisked, causing my pump to fall off and shatter into a million pieces. Or worse, they will rip out the tube and I will be left standing in a pool of my own blood, insulin-less. OK so this is a slight over-reaction, but you know what airport security is like these days and I don’t know how they will react to it.  I know at the end of the day the security people are doing their job, and I am thankful for it. But I’m carrying a little machine full of liquid onto an aeroplane for crying out loud; this is a recipe for disaster. Thankfully I have my trusty letter from the Doctor explaining everything, and I am prepared to waft it in the face of anyone who questions me.

2.   It breaks 

Play nice...


If you have been following my previous posts, then you will know that my pump hasn’t exactly been playing nice. The last time I tried to catch a train the tube was faulty and I had to change my infusion site. I missed my train and had a bit of a tantrum. So in terms of tubing and cannulas I am armed with a spare, a spare for the spare, and a spare for the spare’s spare. Is my carry-on luggage over the weight limit yet?? Don't make me chose between my pump and my shoes.

3.   Food

Photo from here


I plan on eating. A lot. What!?- it’s my birthday I’m allowed a piece of cake or 3. Trouble is I doubt my meals will come with a handy carbohydrate count and sugar content label, and even if it did I wouldn’t understand a word it was saying.

So these are my worries right now. Pumps and planes, do they mix? I don’t know. Stay tuned to find out how I get on, I plan on writing a lengthy post preparing future pump users for plane travel. I'll be your guinea pig, thank me later. I should be back from my trip Monday, so if you don’t hear from me….I’m giving you permission to panic. 

Wish me luck, and a Happy Birthday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment