Monday 21 March 2011

The WonderPump

I have had my pump for just over 2 weeks now, and I am still getting to grips with how to hide it in my clothes.

This weekend I went out in my hometown and wanted to dress all pretty. Every time I go back to my roots I half hope I will ‘bump’ into someone from school and they will think ‘Wow doesn’t Kim look great now'. It hasn’t happened yet.... but I’m still hoping. So it is vitally important that I look my best! 

The pump has been reasonably good to me so far in terms of being discreet. In fact, it’s normally me who whips it out unannounced and shows it off to the poor soul whoever happens to be nearby. But this weekend I wanted to hide it.

Whenever I tell someone about my pump and explain how it works, I notice their eyes wandering from my face to my body. I know what they are doing - they are looking to see where I hide it. Well, I am going to reveal all in this blog post. 

I chose my outfit this particular weekend very carefully. It was a tight playsuit but it had a little bit of extra material around the stomach, which is normally handy for when I’m feeling a bit bloated, but on this occasion it was to serve a different purpose. It would conceal my pump tubes and cannula!

The cannula

All I had to figure out now was where to put my pump. The most obvious place is my bra. Not only has God cursed me with diabetes but he has also given me a flat chest. A winning combination! But it actually comes in pretty handy now as I can fit my pump inside my bra without anyone noticing.

The Pump
But this playsuit was rather tight... and where I had put my pump, a weird rectangle shape protruded from my chest. It looked weird, and there was no way I was going out like that. Most people wouldn’t be bothered, but I don’t mind admitting I can be a bit vain at times and a rectangle shaped boob is a step too far.

Luckily I had a pair of chicken fillets with me and placed it over my pump, so that everything looked nice and normal. I looked in the mirror and WOW. I suddenly had boobs! The pump had worked wonders and the chicken fillets worked their magic.

Me impersonating a sophisticated lady


In terms of practicality, the pump was in a really secure place and there was no chance of it popping out or the tubes getting tangled.

Move over Wonderbra...Photo from here before I scribbled over it
I hope this post proves to mothers, daughters, sisters, cousins and anyone else out there that a pump can be discreet. When I was diagnosed at 15 I was instantly put off by the pump for superficial reasons.  

Now I can keep my blood sugars under control and have cleavage. What more could a divabetic want?

2 comments:

  1. Another great and informative blog...you hide the pump very well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, you do look great now! Durham doesn't know what it's missing!

    ReplyDelete